What if our darkest conflicts become the places where the gospel shines most brightly?
The Colossian Way: A New Way to Engage Conflict
About The Colossian Way
In a time of deep division between Christians, The Colossian Way (TCW) is a small group series built on hope. The name comes from the hope-filled proclamation of Colossians 1:17: In Christ all things hold together
Participants in The Colossian Way take up the practice of gathering together and loving God and one another while engaging challenging issues. We do this in the hope that, when done in faithful ways, we will witness the body of Christ built up.
This hope flies in the face of conventional wisdom that says talking about these topics will only drive us apart. All around us is the hopeless story of a declining and divided church that is at war with itself. As the world watches, many people shake their heads because Christians so often fail to reflect the life and teaching of Jesus.
Our ability to handle tough issues well is limited by our lack of deep formation into the character of Christ.
TCW takes our division over challenging issues as an opportunity to grow deeply into the image of Jesus. We can take the next steps right here and right now, right in the middle of our divisions.
The goal of The Colossian Way is less to resolve a specific issue once and for all, and more to build a capacity for working on important questions in a way that reflects faithful obedience to Christ.
In the end, there may not be agreement on â€śthe answerâ€ť to the controversies we face. But our goal is to develop habits that reflect Jesus in a true and more beautiful way.
- Each Colossian Way small group has 10-12 individuals from a particular church or faith community. That group is led by two trained leaders who guide the group in engaging a divisive topic for 10 weeks.
- Ideally, each group incorporates a diversity of ages, opinions, genders, and ethnicities. Participants learn new ways to engage with the conflict that inherently exists within the group.
- We equip leaders and participants with a resource-rich curriculum that fuels learning and sparks engagement, all within the context of worship.
- A desire to reflect Christ's beauty in the midst of conflict, increasing in love of God and neighbor.
- The support and encouragement of a local church or faith community that assigns two leaders to a training hosted by The Colossian Forum. (Training fee is $1500, which includes the materials for the small group. Travel not included.) A full list of training dates is on our Events page.
- A willingness to learn about and actively engage with key Christian virtues such as humility, patience, and kindness, even when it's challenging.
Ready to Gather a Group?
Click the button below to learn more about The Colossian Way. Whether you engage this year or sometime in the future, you will be encouraged as you learn that Christ calls us to move from fear to hope, even in the most polarizing conflicts. Our next training is May 3-5, 2018.
Join The Colossian Way
Not quite ready for a Colossian Way small group but still intrigued?
Weâ€™d love to connect with you!